Zephair Gentle Critical Care
Zephair Gentle Critical Care Air Mattress System
The Forté Zephair Gentle Critical Care Air mattress system provides true leadership when patient care demands unprecedented comfort alongside outstanding care.
Tried and trusted by facilities and homecare alike, the Zephair provides Gentle Critical Care, Pressure Injury Prevention, Pain Management, Comfort & Compliance, Stability and Safety and mitigation of Falls Risk. This mattress is suited to clients between 30-180kg.
By optimising patient function, and reducing risk of pain and injury, the Zephair increases dignity, independence, and cognitive welfare for vulnerable patients.
PATIENT INTERFACE – UPPER LAYER
- Airoform Response Immersion Interface
- High open-cell elasticity for patient immersion
- Anti-microbial treatment applied to foam maximises longevity and core micro-climate
- Conforms to EPUAP, NPUAP & PPPIA Guidelines for quality and comfort
PATIENT INTERFACE – LOWER LAYER
- Airoform Memory Breathe Immersion Layer
- Maximises Patient contact with Support Surfaces Providing Pressure Redistribution
- Alleviates localised pressure points
- Depth calibrated to maximise functionality and patient mobility
- Prevents collapse, tearing and side-ways twisting of second layer to ensure patient receives full immersion benefit
- Increases lateral sheer relief by connecting cells within second layer together
- Unique Airoform Breathe ventilation system minimises heat entrapment and enhances core circulation providing a cooler sleep surface
- Visco-elastic/Memory Foam cell structure provides low-shear surface
- Firmness: Soft
PREMIUM FIRM FOUNDATION LAYER
- Provides protection against ‘bottoming-out’ during transfer, repositioning and whilst in the inclined/fowler position
- Provides exceptional comfort, support for repositioning and patient care
- Provides protection to air system from bed base
- Provides patient protection should a prolonged power outage occur
22 CELL, ALTERNATING AIR SYSTEM
- 125mm depth facilitates immersion
- TPU Material – Ultra-flexible, soft-touch material. Deflects easily for better immersion and envelopment. No sound of ‘crackling’ when alternating.
- 22 cell system. Narrow cell design minimises patient disturbance yet provides full air system
- Available in Single or King Single Width. Wider sizes are manufactured with pressure care & comfort infill panel / mattress
EASY TO ACCESS CPR
- Positioned on air supply tubes
- Access is not impeded by bed linen or side rails
- Every component is modular and replaceable for low ongoing operational costs
- 360° access zipper for ease of maintenance
SILENT, ERGONOMIC PUMP
- Silent operation minimising patient disturbance
- Intuitive, simple operation
- One-touch quick-change air filter for ease of maintenance
- Mounts to wide variety of beds
- Quality componentry
- Full after-sales backup and support
- Low pressure indication & power failure alert
- Weight: 3kg
POWER CORD SAFETY RETENTION SYSTEM
- Integrated loops enable the power cord to be fastened to the side of the mattress
- Prevents trip hazards and power cord entrapment by adjustable bed surface
- Press-stud closure allows easy fitment
SUPER SHEAR INNER COVER
- Low friction, Anti-Shearing Inner cover compartmentalised to segregate the modular regions of the Zephair in turn delivering a series of shear reduction levels
- Dramatically reduces shearing forces at the patient interface
- Fine stretch Lycra based material is wrinkle free and conforming to varied bed positions
- Provides additional protection to the foam core
PREMIFLEX ULTRA PREMIUM BREATHE PRESSURE CARE COVER
- Premiflex PFPU1100 Pressure Care Polyurethane Upper Material: 4-Way Stretch, Vapour Permeable, Purple
- Double Coated Premiflex PFPU1200 Polyurethane Base Material: Robust, Vapour Permeable, Deep Grey
- Full Vapour Permeability
- Infection Control & Compliance: 10,000ppm chlorine based cleaning agent concentration suitability, Inherent Anti-Microbial Protection, Fire retardant, High frequency sealed and welded seams
- Construction: Four-sided / 360° high frequency welded zipper, Zipper waterfall protection flap, High frequency sealed and welded seams, Integrated Carry Handles
About the Zephair Range
Gentle Critical Care Powered Hybrid Air Mattress Systems
DUAL THERAPY – STATIC IMMERSION & ACTIVE AIR ALTERNATION
The globally recognised indication of a support surface’s effectiveness in pressure injury (PI) prevention has been through its ability to either reduce the peak strain/stress values in tissues to constant low pressure (CLP) such as a pressure redistribution support surfaces (Refer to High Care Mattress Range) or by decreasing the continuous exposure time of tissues to the sustained strain/stress state such as by repositioning or alternating air support surface. Advances in the technology of support surfaces are now moving toward a combination of both the aforementioned indicators of support surface effectiveness.
Support surfaces known as a ‘Hybrid’ are one such example of combining the technologies of CLP and AS through the use of both powered Air cells in conjunction with Foam configured wither as a layer of foam (either simple or castellated foam) at the patient interface (Known as‘ foam above cell’), or as powered air cells around the foam inserts, which effectively provides a layer of alternating air cells above the foam.
Debate amongst healthcare professionals also questions the efficacy of including CLP into an AS, where the question is asked, will there be sufficient offload to allow for the body’s natural blood flow and responsive measures in preventing pressure injuries such as reactive hyperaemia. Studies have shown that smaller pressure amplitudes, such as those seen with a Hybrid AS, generally provide sufficient pressure relief to maintain tissue viability, whereas when the pressure amplitudes are larger like the 100/0 traditional AS, then there is a tendency toward compromised tissue viability even in able-bodied subjects.
A 100/0 AS will provide such high peak pressures (even though there is a 100% offload) that the surface can provide more harm than good to a user. Moreover, studies into the speed of pressure injury have shown that the incidence of high pressures particularly against bony prominences can result in “massive apoptotic cell death within Minutes”.
REDUCING PEAK PRESSURES
The unique configuration of the Zephair incorporating static immersion and alternating therapy, also know as hybrid, is designed to reduce overall peak pressures across the patient interface of the support surface.
The major difference between a traditional AS and a Hybrid AS includes the amount of ‘offload’ achieved. For example, in a 1:2 alternating air system, for every cell ‘A’, 100% of the body’s mass is supported on 50% of the cells, with every second cell achieving full ‘offload’ to allow for blood flow and relief of pressure – A system known as 100-0 or ‘High Amplitude’ System. A hybrid system, in contrast, will not achieve the full offload, but will always have ‘pressure’ of some form on both the inflated and deflated cells, due to the nature of foam – its tendency to ‘spring back’ into position. A hybrid system may achieve an offloading result closer to 80-20 with 80 percent of the body supported on 50% of cells and 20% of the body supported on the remaining cells.
One such product utilising the advancement of hybrid technology is the Forté Healthcare Zephair Hybrid Powered Alternating Air Support Surface, operating with the FA configuration. The FA configuration stands out in the industry as a comfort-enhancing product, mainly due to the foam reducing or eliminating the feel of a ‘plastic-like’ air cell.
IS IT OK TO HAVE FOAM ON AIR CELLS?
Often postulated between health care professionals is the belief that for an alternating air pressure mattress to operate effectively, placing objects on the surface that may obstruct the movement of air between the cells must be avoided. The result of which means that FA surfaces such as the Zephair are overlooked due the foam being perceived as a ‘hindrance’ to clinical function and acting as a barrier between the air cells and the user.
The industry good practice statement is in fact referring to objects which do not provide pressure redistributing or pressure relieving properties. Medical continence care products such as a waterproof sheet or pad are the intention of the statement due to the mechanical nature of such products. Waterproof sheets, for example are often constructed from PVC/Vinyl, which as a rigid material, provides little to no stretch. A non-stretch material like PVC will prevent a user from sinking into the mattress and act much as a ‘hammock’, suspending the user ‘above’ the mattress rather than ‘in’ the mattress, thus presenting the industry statement is indeed a relevant and worthy consideration.
However, in the case of a FA hybrid mattress such as the Zephair, foam is a pressure redistributing substance, allowing for deflection and stretch around bony prominences. The foam used above the cells acts to provide more comfort to the user through two forms:
1) Reducing the ‘amplitude’ between inflated and deflated cells
2) Creating a more plush surface
IMPORTANCE OF PATIENT COMPLIANCE FOR HIGH RISK INDIVIDUALS
Comfort = Compliance
When pain is relieved by the support surface:
a. The individual is more sensitive to discomfort and pain which may indicate concentrated pressure – a warning sign that there is a risk of pressure injury formation
b. Better sleep = less fatigue = more stamina = better physical and mental endurance for client and caregivers
c. Reduces need for pain and sleep medication – improves cognitive state, less strenuous care regimens
d. Reduces the risk of the individual refusing to sleep on the prescribed mattress, resorting to a non-compliant surface such as a recliner chair
Lustig M, Gefen A. Computational studies of the biomechanical efficacy of a minimum tissue deformation mattress in protecting from sacral pressure ulcers in a supine position. Int Wound J. 2021;1-10.doi:10.1111/iwj.1370710 LUSTIG AND GEFEN.
Forté Healthcare is proudly the only Australian manufacturer undertaking air, foam, and cover production for support surfaces under one roof.
As such Forté can offer a complete solution from a basic foam mattress to a high level air mattress system such as the Zephair.
Thanks to Forté, today air systems are available in sizes above single and other custom sizing – bringing together couples and enhancing the recovery process.
Hear what Health Professionals say About our Zephair Mattresses…
I have been having lots of success with Zephair trials up here – it is a very popular mattress
Our OT suggested the Zephair mattress as a possible bedding solution for my husband who has recently been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease…were very happy with all aspects of the Mattress
Thank you very much for the support of you and your team in assisting Brian to achieve improved comfort during sleep
Thank you for your support in achieving a great result for my client.
Disability House Manager
Great service. Residents and staff love the air mattress. The resident says it is the best nights sleep shes ever had. We have never had an issue with the mattress like we do with ones from other companies.
Aged Care Facility
The Zephair, it’s my ‘go to’ option for many situations.
Hear what Health Professionals say About Forté Healthcare Mattresses…
Forté Healthcare has been a pleasure to work with – the team is always easy to talk to and quick to respond to questions, queries and issues. We also had difficulty with a product and a new one was delivered the following business day ensuring participant safety and satisfaction.
We are really happy with the mattresses. Fantastic product especially given the short time frame for supply
Burnett Heads, QLD
You are amazing, it is on site with the client the day after it arrived. Can not thank you enough, really appreciate it. Hope you have a great week, you certainly made mine
Great product and Australian made. Locally owned and run as well as being a team of lovely people.
Customer service is fantastic. Products are of a high quality. A pleasure to deal with Forte.
Excellent company to deal with, quick turnaround. Carol fabulous to work with
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Have I mentioned what a fabulous company Forte is to deal with? It’s rare these days to have such tremendous support.
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Your products are easy to recommend as they are perfect for so many of our clients.
(And it helps that they are made in NSW too)
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Always an efficient and reliable service backed up by the personal, genuine communication.
You guys are amazing! The service and follow up care is next to none. Love working with you guys!
Really helpful team at Forte, prompt with communication, great product knowledge, and they have gone above and beyond to support our purchase experience.
Aged Care Facility
I couldn’t speak highly enough of the team at Forte Healthcare. The team are a pleasure to work with, always professional, prompt and knowledgeable in their responses.
If you’re searching for an Australian made QUALITY medical mattress, look no further than Forte Healthcare, you won’t be disappointed!
An awesome team here and some Very, Very innovative products!
Love the products, can not fault it in any way, the service from sales staff is exceptional.
Always reliable, responsive, knowledgeable, helpful and suppliers of quality products. I’m a Forte fan!
An amazing team of experts in the Medical Mattress world, with fantastic products!
10/10 for mattress quality and selection and 10/10 for service from Bradley, Carol and Crystal.
We love forte !!! Carol and the team at forte are amazing to deal with. The forte products sell themselves.
You’re Covered by Forté Healthcare’s ‘Successful Solution Guarantee’
At Forté Healthcare, we are so confident in the care and performance our support surfaces deliver, that we back our products and expertise with our ‘Successful Solution Guarantee’.
Here’s how it works:
Our team of specialists will help you navigate our product range to correctly match our support surfaces with your care environment and patient risk profile. This ensures you achieve the highest levels of patient care and pressure injury prevention.
If, for whatever reason the product we recommend isn’t helping you achieve the outcome you expected, we’ll work with you until it is. And in the unlikely event we still cannot provide the right solution.
We’ll refund you 100% of the charges to date.