Alaise Pumpless Hybrid
Advanced Hybrid Static Care Support Surface
The Forté Alaise is an advanced Hybrid Static Care Support Surface combining together the pressure redistribution benefits of both foam and air. Utilising a series of 13+ individual Air Cells, it offers excellent comfort, anatomical support and pressure redistribution. The Alaise is ideal for long-term care applications where maximum pressure care is required with virtually zero maintenance.
AIROFORM RESPONSE IMMERSION INTERFACE LAYER
- High open-cell elasticity for temperate stability and to maximise functionality and patient mobility
- Maximises Patient contact with Support Surfaces Providing Pressure Redistribution
- Alleviates localised pressure points
- Anti-microbial treatment applied to foam maximises longevity and core micro-climate
- Conforms to EPUAP, NPUAP & PPPIA Guidelines for quality and comfort
- Firmness: Unique combination of Soft & Medium
4 x ANATOMICALLY ZONED AIR CELL STRUCTURE
- Scapular, Pelvic, Thigh & Heel Zones
- Maximum contact area is achieved using 5 separate ‘banks’ of air cells arranged in zones corresponding to anatomical locations, and a total of 13 individual, self-regulating air cells (on a single)
- Each bank provides tailored immersion and envelopment relative to the specific size and weight of the individual.
- Many systems currently in the market have very little control as to where the air can travel, throughout the entire mattress, and in particular side to side. Air within the Alaise is contained into cells horizontally (4+ Across) to maintain lateral stability and vertically (scapular, pelvic, calf and heel) which are preventing air ‘running away’ to uncontrolled areas of the mattress.
SUPPORT / ANTI-SHEAR RESERVOIR
- allows some air from the sacral region to redistribute to the posterior of the knee.
- The knee pit or popliteal is typically an area of the body that is not in contact with the support surface.
FULL LENGTH & WIDTH PRESSURE CARE SURFACE
- Many Static Air Systems do not include the Heel section of the mattress as part of the Air system, where the air cells stop at the calf area. The Alaise incorporates air cells from head to foot.
- The Alaise will include a Full Width Air System across all sizes from Single through to Queen and King, therefore Pressure Care is then guaranteed
- No matter where an individual is situated on the mattress and no matter what size mattress is used, the Alaise has been designed to always have the air cells across the full width of the mattress.
SLOPED HEEL PRESSURE TRANSFER AND PROTECTION ZONE
- The Calcanei (heels) is one of the most susceptible areas of the body for a Pressure Injury to develop (accounting for approximately 40%).
- The Alaise ensures that the heels are fully protected with dedicated air cells incorporating a heel slope with a softer Immersion area.
- Heel slop Offloads pressure from the patient’s heels and transfers it to calf area
- Unobtrusive, does not require any adjustment
PREMIUM FIRM FOUNDATION LAYER & HINGED STRENGTHENED SIDES
- Increase lateral stability of support surface
- Improves patient safety and encourages central patient positioning
- Make patient transfers easier
- Unique hinge profile sides reduce foam fatigue and allow mattress to easily conform to varied bed positions
- Enables ease of primary patient care
- Provides protection against ‘bottoming-out’ during transfer, repositioning and whilst in the inclined/fowler position
- Provides exceptional comfort, support for repositioning and patient care
SUPER SHEAR INNER COVER
- Low friction, Anti-Shearing Inner cover compartmentalised to segregate the modular regions of the Alaise in turn delivering a series of shear reduction levels
- Dramatically reduces shearing forces at the patient interface
- Fine stretch Lycra based material is wrinkle free and conforms to varied bed position
- Provides additional protection to the mattress core
PREMIFLEX ULTRA PREMIUM BREATHE PRESSURE CARE COVER
- Premiflex PFPU1100 Pressure Care Polyurethane Upper Material: 4-Way Stretch, Vapour Permeable, Purple
- Double Coated Premiflex PFPU1200 Polyurethane Base Material: Robust, Vapour Permeable, Deep Grey
- Full Vapour Permeability
- Infection Control & Compliance: 10,000ppm chlorine based cleaning agent concentration suitability, Inherent Anti-Microbial Protection, Fire retardant, High frequency sealed and welded seams
- Construction: Four-sided / 360° high frequency welded zipper, Zipper waterfall protection flap, High frequency sealed and welded seams, Integrated Carry Handles
- A non-powered, self-regulating system means there is minimal or no training required for set up. There are no settings that need to be adjusted between patient body types or weight.
- Every component is modular and replaceable for low ongoing operational costs
About the Alaise
Advanced Hybrid Static Care Support Surface
REACTIVE SUPPORT SURFACES
A Reactive support surface is a powered or non-powered support surface with the capability to change its load distribution properties only in response to applied load. Reactive support surfaces may be powered (active) or nonpowered (static). In comparison to an alternating pressure relieving mattress, reactive surfaces provide a constant low-pressure profile whereby the pressure at every contact point is reduced. The patient is able to immersion and is enveloped by the surface which increases the area of contact with the patient’s body and the reactive support surface.
Reactive support surfaces come in many different types including:
- Foam – mattress composed of foam or layers of foam with different densities and shapes. For example, Forté Sovereign High Care Mattresses.
- Air or Gel Filled – surfaces comprise air or gel-filled compartments. For example, ROHO Integrated Systems.
- Hybrid – surface combining foam and air technology to maximise the benefits offered by both static and alternating surfaces.
- Low air loss – some air-filled support surfaces allow air to escape through small holes. The air flows along the inside of a vapour permeable patient contact layer. This draws moisture and heat through the contact layer and away from the skin. Low air loss aids control of moisture on a patient’s skin.
- Air-fluidised – contain sand-like particles through which air is forced. As the air is forced through the particles, they take on the properties of a liquid. The porous cover allows air to escape out of the mattress and body fluids to flow down into the support surface
Non-powered reactive or hybrid support surfaces work on the principle of air displacement. When a person repositions their weight, air moves within the mattress to surrounding cells for optimum pressure redistribution. This allows the mattress to conform to the shape of the person’s body as they move, increasing the surface area In contact with the mattress and reducing the patient/support surface interface pressures. This minimises the potential for cell and tissue breakdown.
STABILITY AND AIR SYSTEMS
Air is used in support surfaces as it is a very versatile means to displace pressure, however, air can also create a surface that feels unstable.
Although immersion is of utmost importance to reduce interface pressure on a reactive support surface, it must not compromise the ability of the individual to reposition or enter/exit their bed.
Many reactive systems currently in the market have very little control over where the air can travel, throughout the entire mattress, in particular with side-to-side movement. Air within the Alaise is contained in cells horizontally to maintain lateral stability and vertically, preventing air from ‘running away’ to uncontrolled areas of the mattress.
The firm foam sides and foundation surrounding the Alaise air system create essential, additional stability – preventing bottoming out and assisting with safe transfers.
IMPORTANCE OF PATIENT COMPLIANCE FOR HIGH-RISK INDIVIDUALS
The Alaise Pumpless Hybrid mattress can be used in applications where high to very high risk individuals require a high care air mattress system that is comfortable and stable.
Non-powered and non-alternating air systems such as the Alaise are typically preferred to active air systems as there is less movement, stability, and noise related discomfort.
Why is it so important to select a support surface that is comfortable?
Comfort = Compliance
When pain is relieved by the support surface:
- The individual is more sensitive to discomfort and pain which may indicate concentrated pressure – a warning sign that there is a risk of pressure injury formation
- Better sleep = less fatigue = more stamina = better physical and mental endurance for client and caregivers
- Reduces need for pain and sleep medication – improves cognitive state, less strenuous care regimens
- Reduces the risk of the individual refusing to sleep on the prescribed mattress, resorting to a non-compliant surface such as a recliner chair
Lustig M, Gefen A. Computational studies of the biomechanical efficacy of a minimum tissue deformation mattress in protecting from sacral pressure ulcers in a supine position. Int Wound J. 2021;1-10.doi:10.1111/iwj.1370710 LUSTIG AND GEFEN.
SLOPED HEEL REGION
The heels are one of the most susceptible sites for pressure injuries, due to factors such as heel anatomy, disease burden, comorbid conditions, and the aging process. Heel Pressure Injuries (HPI) has been found to be one of the most prevalent sites for pressure injuries to occur, with a study in Europe identifying that 38.5% of stage IV pressure injuries were found at the heels. Pressure upon the Calcaneus can be reduced and redistributed by elevating the lower leg and calf .
Many Static Air Systems do not include the Heel section of the mattress as part of the Air system, where the air cells stop at the calf area. The Alaise incorporates air cells from head to foot, ensuring that the heels are fully protected. The Alaise is designed with an air zone dedicate to protecting the heels – incorporating a heel slope with a softer Immersion area.
There are three primary designs of heel elevation: the Heel Slope (Surface Modification), Heel elevator (external device) and the elevated Heel slope (Hybrid Model).
Though essential in the clinical setting, and particularly with those that are medically complex, elevating the heel and redistributing the pressure towards the calf is a difficult task. There are several implementation considerations such as ensuring the knee is at a slight flexion (5-10°) while the heel is elevated can help avoid vein compression and increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), adapting a plan of care to the individuals’ needs and avoiding causing harm to other ‘at-risk’ areas of the body (such as the Achilles tendon).
With patients on a traditional support surface with a completely horizontal fascia (no heel slope) and no additional aid from an external heel device, pressure injuries upon the heel region are more common than with heels that have elevated heels, with differences being from an 8% to 54.2% incidence on heel injury respectively.
Forté has conducted studies to illustrate the basic principles of heel offloading using a Tekscan Pressure Measurement System which utilises a thin and flexible sensor. We use this system to measure the pressure distribution of a human body on the surface of our mattresses with minimal interference.
The image demonstrates the pressure distribution of the NPIAP/RESNA 50th Percentile male mannequin (81.2kg, 1775mm tall) over a 6-hour period, shown in a variety of heel positions. The Support surface used is a Single Sovereign S3 High-Care Mattress.
Such a decrease in pressure, therefore, signifies the importance of heel offloading, and indirectly the importance of utilising a support surface modified with a heel slope as a means of offloading such pressure and reducing risk of an HPI. Furthermore, the heel slope was identified to encourage a slight bend in the knee of approximately 8-10°, in comparison to a flat surface which evidence has suggested reduces popliteal vein compression.
Forté Healthcare is proudly the only Australian manufacturer undertaking air, foam, and cover production for support surfaces, under one roof.
As such Forté can offer a complete solution from a basic foam mattress to a high level air mattress system such as the Alaise.
Thanks to Forté, today air systems are available in sizes above single and other custom sizing – bringing together couples and enhancing the recovery process.
Hear what Health Professionals say About the Alaise…
I can only provide positive feedback so far. The Alaise is definitely filling a gap that we had in our offering and It will continue to sell very well as a static hybrid mattress. 😊
We have used the Alaise mattress within our client population, who are in the subacute phase of their rehab post spinal cord injury. We have found the Alaise mattress to be a great option to use when downgrading clients off alternating air mattresses and onto something else in preparation for going home. The feedback from clients so far has been very positive! Particularly with regards to the mattress being firm enough to maximise function, such as rolling, bed mobility, and comfort, whilst also offering a good level of pressure relief.
My client has had a very positive experience on the Alaise so far! He is unable to tolerate a traditional alternating air system due to a number of reasons, but one being the noise of a pump, so the Alaise is suiting him very well having no pump. He is finding the Alaise comfortable, and not too soft.
Hear what Health Professionals say About Forté Healthcare Mattresses…
Forté Healthcare has been a pleasure to work with – the team is always easy to talk to and quick to respond to questions, queries and issues. We also had difficulty with a product and a new one was delivered the following business day ensuring participant safety and satisfaction.
We are really happy with the mattresses. Fantastic product especially given the short time frame for supply
Burnett Heads, QLD
You are amazing, it is on site with the client the day after it arrived. Can not thank you enough, really appreciate it. Hope you have a great week, you certainly made mine
Great product and Australian made. Locally owned and run as well as being a team of lovely people.
Customer service is fantastic. Products are of a high quality. A pleasure to deal with Forte.
Excellent company to deal with, quick turnaround. Carol fabulous to work with
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Have I mentioned what a fabulous company Forte is to deal with? It’s rare these days to have such tremendous support.
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Your products are easy to recommend as they are perfect for so many of our clients.
(And it helps that they are made in NSW too)
Sunshine Coast, QLD
Always an efficient and reliable service backed up by the personal, genuine communication.
You guys are amazing! The service and follow up care is next to none. Love working with you guys!
Really helpful team at Forte, prompt with communication, great product knowledge, and they have gone above and beyond to support our purchase experience.
Aged Care Facility
I couldn’t speak highly enough of the team at Forte Healthcare. The team are a pleasure to work with, always professional, prompt and knowledgeable in their responses.
If you’re searching for an Australian made QUALITY medical mattress, look no further than Forte Healthcare, you won’t be disappointed!
An awesome team here and some Very, Very innovative products!
Love the products, can not fault it in any way, the service from sales staff is exceptional.
Always reliable, responsive, knowledgeable, helpful and suppliers of quality products. I’m a Forte fan!
An amazing team of experts in the Medical Mattress world, with fantastic products!
10/10 for mattress quality and selection and 10/10 for service from Bradley, Carol and Crystal.
We love forte !!! Carol and the team at forte are amazing to deal with. The forte products sell themselves.
You’re Covered by Forté Healthcare’s ‘Successful Solution Guarantee’
At Forté Healthcare, we are so confident in the care and performance our support surfaces deliver, that we back our products and expertise with our ‘Successful Solution Guarantee’.
Here’s how it works:
Our team of specialists will help you navigate our product range to correctly match our support surfaces with your care environment and patient risk profile. This ensures you achieve the highest levels of patient care and pressure injury prevention.
If, for whatever reason the product we recommend isn’t helping you achieve the outcome you expected, we’ll work with you until it is. And in the unlikely event we still cannot provide the right solution.
We’ll refund you 100% of the charges to date.